Contact with the Rein

Photographed by:
Christina Handley
Picture from:
http://www.horsenation.com/2013/04/12/10-photos-of-rainy-horse-show-days/

  Another week has come and gone and it's time for another blog post. I'll be honest with you and say that I had a case of writer's block today, but I didn't want to leave you without a post for the week. So, I decided to search the internet for inspiration. I looked through local tack shop websites, read some posts on blogs that I follow and caught up on EventionTv videos. I was kind of getting discouraged until I found myself on Ariat's website.

  I have always been a fan of their products so I decided I would find out what new things they had available. It was only when I got to the accessories that it got me thinking. I have always worn gloves when I ride, but some people don't.
  For some, riding with gloves is a preference while others feel like it's a necessity. Some people will wear gloves if their horse pulls a lot or they are longeing. Other people that I have met don't like wearing gloves at all and would rather have sore hands.

  There are advantages and disadvantages to either choice. Gloves can give you better grip, keep your hands warmer in the winter time and prevent you from getting rope burns from a longe line. They will, however, give you a lovely tan line in the summer and can become a pain to take on and off when adjusting your tack.

  For myself, I seem to be more prone to putting holes through my gloves than most. I'm pretty sure it has to do with my fingernails being a little bit longer than most riders. That part of using gloves is a pain, but I couldn't see myself riding without them. They give me better contact and prevent me from getting the residue from the reins between my fingers like some riders get.

Picture from:
http://www.visita-espana.com/horse-riding/

  Gloves can then become another accessory for you. Do you like black, brown, white, coloured or patterned ones? I like a simple black pair personally, but I do know people who want their gloves to match their polos or saddle pad. 

  Whether you ride with gloves all the time, for competitions or you would rather ride without them, wearing them can give you a bit of a different riding experience. You'll have better contact with the reins so that you can give clear direction while making it difficult for your horse to pull the reins out of your hands.

  So I hope you all had a great week and I wish you all a wonderful weekend. Thank you for reading and following the Pure Horse Sense blog.

  Until next time, happy riding!

This post was not sponsored by Ariat in any way. Their products simply inspired the topic of this post.

Comments