Equine Photography Skills

  If you have not noticed already, I am a huge fan of equine photography. I can spend hours looking at pictures and I try to share some of my favourites in my posts when they are relevant to the topic. If you're like me and you can't get enough of good horse pictures, this post is for you.

Photographed by:
Sigrid Wolff
Picture from:
http://www.eurodressage.com/equestrian/2012/09/19/steffen-peters-and-scott-hassler-headlining-usdf-fei-level-trainers-conference


  With the ever gaining popularity of social media, sites like Tumblr, Pinterest and Instagram encourages people to develop their photography skills. The camera quality on cell phones have increased, but let's be honest, there's just something about a good camera. I'm also not talking about a simple point and shoot, but an expensive interchangeable lenses type of camera.

  The more you learn how these cameras, the more you realise how much you can do with them. You might still have to edit them when you get home, but there's just something to be said about the quality.

  So do you have any equine photography skills?

Hickstead Statue at Spruce Meadows
Picture taken by me

  I'm not going to pretend like I am an expert in all things photography, because I'm not. I don't have a Canon or a Nikon SLR camera. I have an Olympus Pen E-PL1 camera. It's a middle of the road camera found between the point and shoots and the SLR's. The lenses are interchangeable and you can change things like the shutter speed and aperture all while being simple and relatively small. If nothing of what I just said made sense to you, my camera is a "beginner professional camera" so to speak. It allows me to learn how to change the settings to get different looks so that I am comfortable with its functions before spending more money on a better one.

  If you saw the pictures from my post called My Equine Visit, that was my first time ever taking pictures of a horse jumping. They're pretty good considering, but I learnt that I need a telephoto lense so that I can get a more clear picture without having to crop and zoom in (that ruins its quality). If you don't believe me, compare my picture with my friend's picture (who has a SLR) of Reed Kessler on Cylana jumping the same jump. Keep in mind mine is edited and her's isn't.

Picture taken by me

Picture taken by my friend

  If you're like me and you enjoy looking and taking equine pictures, you're in luck! I was looking at my Horsetalk.co.nz email today and learnt that FEI and Action Images are holding a photography competition. You can read Horsetalk's article here. It's open to anyone of any age. There are 9 different categories to enter in, so you have 9 chances to win:

"-A master class photo-shoot with a top Action Images/ Reuters Photographer at an FEI event in his or her country
-Winning works will be exhibited at the FEI Pavilion – a contemporary exhibition area at the forthcoming Alltech FEI World Equestrian Games™ in Normandy, France & the FEI General Assembly 2014.
-All winning images will be published in an Official FEI Photographic Book & FEI Focus Magazine in 2014
-All winners will receive a personalised FEI Solidarity Photographic Award Winner – Samsung tablet and personalised leather photography portfolio"


  Pretty cool huh? But wait there's more, you also have the chance to be FEI's Photographer of the Year! From the category winners, an overall winner will be awarded this title. What will you get?: 
"They will be flown to the Alltech FEI World Equestrian Games™ in Normandy, France in August/Sept 2014 for a Photo Master class with a top Action Images/Reuters Photographer and a photographic commission at one of the events."

  If you want to learn more about this or to enter the contest, you can visit the website here. For all of you who are fans of Instagram, you can enter by using the hashtag #FEIPhotoGrandPrix. It's that easy!

  I wish you all the best of luck if you're going to enter and thank you for reading Pure Horse Sense.

  Until next time, happy riding!

This post was not sponsored by FEI or Action Images in any way. Their contest simply inspired the topic of this post.

Comments